In Australia everyone is on holiday celebrating the Queen's birthday but here in England it is business as usual! Michael made us a traditional English (or was that Welsh?) breakfast
The drive from delightful northern Devon to the south coast of Cornwall was really lovely with many areas where we were cocooned in natural tunnels of green.
Crumplehorn Inn website
Crumplehorn HistoryCrumplehorn Mill is the name given to the present complex derived from the old mill, Killigarth Mill and Crumplehorn Farm. The hamlet of Crumplehorn is still shown on Ordnance Survey Maps today.
Once a corn mill and in use until the 1950s, the old wooden wheel collapsed with age. However, a similar wheel, made at the George Harris Foundry in Wadebridge, was brought from Tregonjohn Farm, near Grampound in Cornwall and carefully restored to working condition. The wheel is of the type known as 'overshot' and gives a wonderful sense of power as 12 tons of iron and timber revolves.
The Inn used to be a counting house during Elizabethan times when privateering was a legal occupation. Ships' captains could plunder Spanish and French ships legally and split the proceeds with the Crown. The Crowns part went to fund the Navy in further attacks against the French. The Queen's Treasury officer Lord Burleigh came to Polperro to 'count' the ship's cargo and take away the Crown's share. The Crumplehorn Mill was also home to Zephaniah Job, who was know as the Smugglers Banker and even issued his own banknotes, one of which is displayed at Truro Museum.
Records of the local area date back to the Domesday Book.
The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time).
The original Domesday Book has survived over 900 years of English history and is currently housed in a specially made chest at London's Public Record Office in Kew, London.
The Domesday entry refers to Raphael and reads as follows:-
Raphael. Aelfeva held it before 1066 and paid tax for 1 v. of land; 1/2 hide there, however. Land for 3 ploughs; 2 ploughs there; 3 slaves, 2 villagers, and 2 smallholders. Pasture 30 acres. Formerly 10 shillings; value now 7 shillings.
In about 1212 documents regarding a mill and one ferling of land in Roddun (which seems unidentified) were witnessed by Richard de Kygad or Richard de Kylgat. (These are earliest renditions of the modern day name of Killigarth).
In the Accounts of the Earldom of Cornwall, 1296/7 there is a latin record which reads:-
The next record is entry in the Survey and Loan of 1522:
Early in the 17th Century, John Norden has a brief and similar entry:
There is some debate over the origin of the name 'Crumplehorn'. Tradition has it that it probably originated from curly horned sheep or cows which grazed on the surrounding hillsides.
The Cornish Record Office has this entry:-
Tremylhorne 1565 HendMSS., Trembelhorne 1594 ib., Cremblehorne 1706 RecovR. Clearly a late corruption of some Cornish place name in Tre-. The second element might be a personal name such as Maelhorn, from O.British Maglo-isarnos, 'iron prince'.
O. J. Padel, a place names expert, writes this:-